I cannot completely agree or disagree to this statement because I don’t believe that most people in today’s young generation of Germans, and people in generations to come, feel guilty about the Holocaust. And I don’t think that they should. However, Germans today are still faced with stereotypes of being Nazi’s which could make them to feel angry and guilty.
The Holocaust is a one of the most terrible and horrifying violation of human rights in history. An approximate six million Jews were murdered; Nazi’s also killed people with disabilities, Soviet prisoners and civilians, homosexuals, Romani’s and other groups, which would bring the total number of victims to an approximate 11 million people. All these deaths were instigated by the power of one man, Adolf Hitler. You could argue that Germans were forced to act under the fear of the SS but I believe that some of them acted for themselves; however, we can’t make a generalization for either side of the argument. Many Germans at that time shared Nazi ideals and participated willingly to the Holocaust; these are the people who should feel guilt.
To conclude, I think that the Holocaust will always be viewed as one of mankind’s most terrible display of brutality but I don’t think that future generations and even today’s young generation feels guilt; they view it just like us, a gruesome and inexcusable act. They are completely innocent and shouldn’t be made to feel guilty. Germany’s dark past will never be forgotten but the guilt will slowly fade away.
Valentin,
ReplyDeleteYour ideas and thoughts are certainly relevant. However, I feel as though you could have developed them more (especially as you've included some information about the number of people killed etc).